This is a bummer for a few reasons:
- Sodas are known for containing some not-so-healthy ingredients. GMO-laden high frustose corn syrup among them.
- Most soda bottlers use cans or bottles that contain hormone-disrupting BPA. Yuck.
- Soda is not budget friendly. Even less so if you live in a state (like I do) that requires a mandatory deposit on beverage containers....a "deposit" that you don't get back if you utilize curbside recycling. Boo.
These are just some of the reasons why I was really excited to be able to try out an at home soda maker from SodaStream. AND I also get to share the at home soda love with you because SodaStream is going to give a Fountain Jet Starter Kit away to one lucky Carissa's Creativity Space reader!
- Because I reuse the bottles that come with the maker, there's no more lost money on bottle "deposits" ("deposits" in quotes because while I could return the bottles to get my nickel back, it's a huge hassle. I just curbside recycle them, which means my "deposit" turns into a five cent donation to the state)
- It has a small footprint - it does not take up much space at all on my counter. It doesn't need access to electricity, either. Really, I can put it anywhere!
- Making soda in small batches keeps it fizzy longer. No more half-drunk bottles of flat soda from the store.
- I can make my own flavors to have 100% control over what goes into my body.
- My son loves (and frequently requests) plain "bubble water". Anything that makes food more fun for a toddler is a plus in my book!
- The bottles are BPA and phthalate free (most cans of soda contain BPA so this is a great alternative).
- None of SodaStream's flavors contain High Fructose Corn Syrup or Aspartame.
- My favorite SodaStream flavors were: Cola Free, Diet Pink Grapefruit, Diet Cranberry Raspberry, Diet Green Tea Pomegranate Peach.
- I wish SodaStream made glass bottles that worked with my model. SodaStream does have two models that use glass bottles, Penguin and Crystal, but their bottles are not compatible with the less expensive soda makers like the one I have.
- Because the bottles are plastic, they need some extra special love. You should never put them in the dishwasher, use detergent or a bottle brush on them. Scratches (as from a bottle brush), heat and detergent will make the plastic start to break down. Because of this, you should not drink straight from the bottles and should always pour into a glass or drinking container first. Once you've finished drinking a bottle of soda, simply rinse it with water and fill it with tap water. Keep the bottle with tap water in the fridge until you're ready to carbonate.
- While I love that the Sparkling Naturals line of flavorings contains no artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, or preservatives, the caps on the bottles are messy and the syrup does not dissolve into the carbonated water as easily and the standard flavors. At the very least a re-design of the bottle would make these more user friendly.
- I would love if they expanded their energy drink flavors to have more than just a Red Bull knock off. Maybe a Monster or RockStar flavor? Double brownie points if it's the pink RockStar flavor.
- Fountain Jet in the winner’s choice of color (black/silver, red/silver or white)
- 1 carbonating bottle, reusable for up to 3 years
- Reusable carbonator to fizz up to 60L of soda
- Variety 6-pack of popular sample-size flavors
- 3 full-sized flavors of the winner’s choice
(make sure to include your e-mail address so I can contact you if you win. I'd hate for you to miss out on your prize because I couldn't reach you)
Don't forget your e-mail so I have a way to contact you if you're a lucky winner!
- LIKE Carissa's Creativity Space on Facebook (or tell me if you already do)
- (or tell me if you already do)
- (or tell me if you already do)
- LIKE SodaStream on Facebook (or tell me if you already do)
- FOLLOW @SodaStreamUSA on Twitter
Other Contest Details and "Small Print"
This is a sweepstakes style giveaway. No purchase is necessary. Odds of winning are based on number of entries. Sweepstakes entry period is 7:40am (PST) on February 29, 2012 through 11:59pm (PST) March 7, 2012. Each person may enter a maximum of eight times and win only once. One winner will be chosen at random using random.org. Winner will be notified via e-mail provided in comments on March 8, 2012. Winners will have 48 hours to respond to e-mail with a valid US mailing address to which the prize pack will be sent. If winner does not respond in time, an alternate winner will be chosen, also by using random.org. Dollar value of prize pack is approximately $99.95. Entrants must be above 18 years of age and have a United States of America mailing address. I have received compensation from SodaStream for posting this review and hosting this sweepstakes. All opinions expressed in the review are 100% mine.